Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Games, conferences and a keynote address

My, how fast time flies! After hurting my hand, I took a break from blogging and now have so much information to share.

Over the past four months, CS 820 in Fall 2008 ended, CS 820 in Winter 2009 began, and between those experiences, the Global Learning Forum welcomed me warmly to their educational game simulation activities.

In November of 2008, I presented at my first Global learning Forum and learned that an old friend is part of a team that designed a rather cool game simulation and their first game is Operation Relief Worker Rescue Challenge.

January 25-30, 2009 featured the Second Life Education Support Faire with over 3785 unique visitors from over 93 countries. Visit my presentation on Using Second Life in Your Online and Campus Classes for more information.

February 19, 2009, the Association for Information Technology Professionals (AITP) invited me to give a keynote address on the IT implications of virtual world use. Visit the AITP Keynote Address on Virtual Worlds for more information on the issues that challenge IT professionals. It includes a comparison of some popular virtual worlds and statistics that include the fact that there are over 200 teen appropriate virtual worlds that are active or in development.

In February 2009, the design team performed an alpha test of it after Judy Brown and I gave a session on the Current and Future of Mobile Learning. I'll cover the highlights from these sessions visually in my next post.

Images and briefing notes from the game and the results of an alpha test that my CS 820 doctoral students conducted on March 9, 2009 are included my presentation Evaluating a Game Simulation Kit in Second Life on Slideshare.

Will continue with more examples in the next post and highlights from the NMC Symposium. *waves* It is time to give my presentation!

No comments: